Monday, January 26, 2009

Blogging live from Starbucks Cameron :)

Saturday: Went shopping at 1U . didnt buy much except for a t-shirt from Topshop. love Topshop!! so many tops to choose from! :)

anyways....pretty boring Saturday until Nase came to pick me up from Tropicana. Went to SS2 to get some (like 10 boxes k!) oranges because Nase wanted to distribute them to the staff in the wards. I thought to myself hmm hokay this is kinda unusual, which is awesome because i'm always up for unusual stuff :p

Dropped by the hospital afterwards. After the nurses from all the wards came to pick up the oranges i asked Nase if we could go in to take a look (fuelled by watching too many hospital drama series really). I've always wondered what it's like in the pediatric ward.

There's so many children wards there and they certainly dont look like anything you watch on the telly. These are real children. real sick and suffering children. Some of them dont even have their parents with them. Some of them looked odd.....misshapen wouldnt be an exaggerated word...some looked too tiny to be human. it's sad...it's really really sad. But the toughest one for me was watching a family of Myanmarese refugee in the cancer ward. their baby girl just had a cancerous growth removed from her adbomen. and before this she was not able to even move her legs.

The aunt was there and she spoke a little english. and it broke my heart when she asked Nase how much the whole treatment would cost. Imagine escaping the horrors and atrocities of the Junta, only to find that their baby has cancer...and imagine not knowing how you'd pay for treatment. ..knowing that if you dont, the hospital would have no choice but to refuse further treatments..
I was pretty distraught.
Their only hope lies in UNHCR. I was shocked to learn from Nase that apart from the occasional help from NGOs, there's no specific local body that's set up to help refugees in Malaysia.

I'm gonna have to do more research on this when i get back to Penang, and find out how i can play a part in helping them. I'm thinking that i can help conduct classes for the refugee children. Having education is the only hope of ever changing their lives. We have to take a shot at that.


Nase drove us to KLCC after that. After a few sips of afogato at Dome, i felt a whole lot better. We had a good time at KLCC i'd say. Nase got himself a 100mil bottle of paul smith's extreme. I wasnt planning on buying anything because nothing there caught my fancy. Until we stumbled upon Graffi Tee. I thought their Tees were pretty awesome and i liked the idea that they're local. A little pricey i'd say, but i picked up 2 tees in the end. One black one says "Crazywood" across chest, while the other yellow one says "Applecrumble and Fudge" :)

Went to Brussels at Jaya One in PJ for a late dinner after that. Since they didnt serve their main courses anymore after 10, we ordered a few plates of beer food. We had sausages (yay!), meatballs (yay!) and some Belgian Frites (yay!) and of course, beer. I hadnt had Stella Artois since my California days so the pint was really really awesome. We talked and bitched until prolly 12+ when i had to leave. It was an awesome saturday and if you'd told me that i'd be spending 8 hours with a stranger on a saturday i would've shuddered at the idea. But it turned out really good. I had an awesome awesome time :)

Sunday:
We had our reunion dinner at the King Crab restaurant in Kelana Jaya...gosh...the food was really bad! :p Because of last minute bookings, we only got to start at 8pm. Uncle B brought a few bottles of red wine and i think i drank a little too much. It was good wine!

Monday:
woke up at prolly 8. showered, got ready...and went to the mamak restaurant downstairs for breakfast. I put on Paul Smith's Exteme before we went out (They gave Nase a small sample bottle of it when he bought the 100mil, and Nase gave it to me for a tryout). It smells really nice. But after the nasi kandar breakfast of course...I smell like a mamak version of paul smith. I knew it was an odd combo...spices and paul smith... mom kept giving me this look in uncle B's car.

reached Cameron prolly at 5pm! There was a horrible horrible jam on the way up. It didnt help that Uncle B played his favourite music in the car and they were all music from the...i dont knwo..either 70s or from a totally different planet. I couldnt recognize one of them! They were painful painful music i swear. i was just ready to slit my wrist when we saw the signboard leading to the apartment we're staying at. Phew!


Mom just called to tell that dinner's almost ready. guess i'm gonna have to stop here for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Glad Nase wuz able to spend some time with you. I wuz a house-slave prior to CNY with all that cleaning and buying. Pretty surprised that King Crab wuz lousy, coz their food is quite fine usually. Cameron's my fav place, think I'll plan another trip there. Glad you're hvg a fun time and thanks so much for your nice gesture! ^_^

Little Dove said...

Thank goodness you didn't slit your wrist. lol

nase said...

Quote, 'so many tops to choose from! :)'....unquote, so salah!!!

Kakaka, it's 100ml parfum bottle lest peeps misunderstood I gotten myself 100 mil of those, eh.

And it's refreshing and humbling to see and understand other people's view esp the common people in regards to sick children, refugees' plight etc. Thank you for the lesson and feelings shared.

Yeah do bug me pls when you're in town next time as it's really rare to spend 8hours straight with a total stranger without realising the time and what a blast it was indeed. thank you once again for the wonderful company and a great start to a friendship. Cheers!

Serm said...

Ant: lol, house-slave to whom? :p yeah King Crab...not totally inedible...but stil...wasnt really nice :p it was a letdown. Cameron's getting pretty poluted. trash everywhere...it's kinda sad..better come again before it changes beyond recognition.

Lil' Dove: lol almost! i was already antsy and twitching like a.....hmm ...mevermind..

nase: not salah k! betul! 100mil also u can afford lah dun worry :p lol just sell one of ur endangered periuk kera